That’s where Propulo comes in.
We know that 70% of change initiatives fail. We know the value of great cultures. And we seek to improve those odds because of success by tapping into our evidence-based research.
Propulo has been in the business of “culture change” for operational outcomes for over 15-years. We’ve learned that:
• Culture change truly represents the sum of multiple individual change journeys – to be effective we need to incorporate learnings from brain science and psychology around individual change in attitudes, beliefs and mindsets with broader organizational change research.
• To drive change, the intangibles of culture need to be measured. We created our Safe Production model to drive just that, an ability to explore an operating culture against key facets of safety, quality, productivity and Customer Experience. This goes beyond employee engagement to explore the elements that drive business success.
• Culture change needs to have a defined outcome which can capture the hearts and minds of team members. Culture change initiatives that don’t have this central focus tend to fail. Change for safety and customers tend to gather the most buy-in.
• Culture change can’t be owned by HR. It needs to be owned by the broader organization and operations. It needs to be linked to real results not just soft numbers like employee engagement.
• Culture change can’t follow the same models as other change initiatives. What works to implement a new IT system won’t work for culture.
• Training won’t change culture without a broader focus on change at the individual and organizational level.
To maximize outcomes, our Propulo science team recently completed one of the most comprehensive reviews of research and thinking in culture change. We reviewed all of the leading change models, explored research in individual change and combined it with our own experience to create a modern, evidence-based change model, focused on people.
To lead culture change, we have identified 12 key stages that need to be followed to maximize the chances of success. These are: